E. Joy Little
CPA, CFE, MCM
Tennessee Department of Commerce and Insurance
January 2014 - Present
Chief Examiner /Director - Insurance Company Examinations Section
- Manages a staff of 10 examination professionals and administrative personnel in the day-to-day operations of the Section.
- Supervises financial examinations of approximately 65 domestic insurance companies.
- Developed new Section procedures and revised existing authoritative directives.
- Represents the Insurance Department at NAIC meetings and conferences.
June 2000 - January 2014
E. Joy Little Consulting, LLC – President (March 2013 – January 2014)
Smith-Little, LLC - President/CEO/Member (October 2008 – February 2013)
Huff, Thomas & Company - Vice President (June 2000 – September 2008)
- Responsible for directing the day-to-day activities of the firms’ regulatory consulting practices, including marketing, administration and staff supervision.
- Responsible for client relations, marketing and new business development, prepared responses to requests for proposals, requests for qualifications, requests for information, etc.
- Served as Examiner-in-Charge and Supervising Examiner to various state insurance departments for financial and market conduct examinations.
- Provided training for the firms’ new examiners and mentored staff of state insurance department clients.
- Provided litigation support and expert witness testimony.
- Co-developed NAIC Financial Analysis Handbook for Health Entities.
- Provided special consulting for regulatory clients (expert witness testimony; Form A due diligence, reinsurance study, financial analysis).
Texas Department of Insurance
July 1995 - June 2000
Chief Examiner – Examination Division
- Managed activities of 65 examiners and administrative personnel in four statewide offices.
- Responsible for oversight of financial examinations of over 500 domestic insurance companies and HMOs, and market conduct regulation of approximately 1500 domestic and foreign insurance companies.
- Established examination function for Quality of Care examinations of HMOs.
- Established Automation Examination Section to ensure implementation of current technology and procedures on examinations.
- Examiner-in-Charge and Team member of the first ever NAIC reviews of Lloyd’s (London, England) in 1998 and 1999.
- Represented the insurance department on numerous NAIC financial and market conduct working groups. Chair of the Audit Software Working Group and Co-Chair of the Annual Statement Instructions Working Group.
- Led the State of Texas to its first full five-year NAIC Accreditation.
- Member of TDI Recommendation Committee to identify troubled companies, evaluate turnaround strategies and recommend corrective action.
North Carolina Department of Insurance
February 1980 - June 1995
Chief Examiner – Field Audit Section (1989-1995)
- Managed a staff of 25 accounting and auditing professionals and administrative personnel.
- Supervised financial examinations of 125 domestic insurance companies and Self-Insured Workers Compensation entities.
- Drafted new financial statutes and rules, divisional policies and procedures and revisions to existing authoritative directives.
- Represented the Insurance Department on numerous working groups, task forces and committees including spearheading the NAIC initiative for risk-based (SRA) financial examinations of insurance companies, leading to a complete re-write of the Financial Condition Examiners Handbook.
- Led the State of North Carolina to success in its first NAIC Accreditation review.
- Assisted the Deputy Commissioner for Financial Evaluation in the resolution of a large insurance company insolvency.
Financial Examiner (1980-1989)
Conducted statutory financial examinations of NC domestic insurance companies situated throughout the US.
Executed special projects on behalf of the Deputy Commissioner.
Bachelor of Science in Business Administration (BSBA), Major in Accounting, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Certified Public Accountant, State of North Carolina , State of Tennessee
Certified Financial Examiner, Society of Financial Examiners
Market Conduct Management, Insurance Regulatory Examiners Society
Society of Financial Examiners - Board of Governors 1990-1997; Executive Committee 1990-1996; President, 1994-1995
Insurance Regulatory Examiners Society